Protect your home:
- Install a smoke alarm on every level of your home. The Philadelphia Fire Department will install free
- Install a carbon monoxide alarm in your home
- Install motion-sensing lights outside of entrances. (Either electric or solar.)
- Consider installing a home security alarm system.
- Leave your spare keys with a trusted neighbor – never hide it on your property.
- Always lock your external doors, windows, and door between garage and house, whether you’re home or not.
- Drop outgoing mail at the post office or at USPS mailboxes.
When you’re away from home:
- Leave lights on. Use timers to turn them randomly on and off.
- Ask a trusted neighbor to collect your mail, newspapers, and flyers.
- Don’t leave notes on your door for service people or visitors.
- Cancel all deliveries or have someone you trust pick them up.
Protect your kids:
Valuable safety tips from the National Crime Prevention Council
Protect yourself at home:
- Never open your door automatically.
- Install and use a peephole or a video doorbell/security camera.
- Don’t allow anyone into your home who you don’t know.
- Get to know your neighbors and their children so you can look out for one another.