Click here to download PDF
Reason for Policy and Persons Concerned:
Queen Village Neighbors Association (QVNA), is a nonprofit, tax-exempt 501(c)(3) organization as well as a Registered Community Organization with the City of Philadelphia. Charitable contributions are an important part of its revenue. Maintenance of QVNA’s tax-exempt status is vital to operations and public trust. QVNA is subject to scrutiny by and accountability to both governmental authorities and members of the public.
Therefore, an obligation exists between QVNA and persons who have a position of responsibility and trust on its behalf, to conduct business within guidelines prohibiting actual, apparent or potential conflicts of interest.
Conflicts of interest are not only limited to financial interests but may also relate to situations involving dual or conflicting loyalty, including lobbying and political involvement, which are prohibited under 501(c)(3) IRS rules.
This policy is intended to supplement but not replace any applicable state or federal laws governing conflicts of interest applicable to nonprofit and charitable organizations.
- Interested Persons: Persons who on behalf of QVNA have a position of responsibility and trust, meaning members of QVNA’s board, committees, task forces and staff.
- Conflict of Interest requiring Recusal. A conflict of interest requiring recusal may exist if the interested person (or an immediate family member*):
- Has an ownership, investment, responsibility or control in any entity with which QVNA engages in transactions or arrangements;
- Serves in another fiduciary capacity for an organization with which QVNA engages;
- Is associated with or is member of an organization that is an applicant for a QVNA Community Grant or Fiscal Sponsorship;
- Holds a position of responsibility in designing, developing, or building a project that is reviewed by QVNA’s Zoning Committee; or
- Serves in a paid or unpaid role as part of a political campaign or lobbying activity.
- Recusal: Nonparticipation by an Interested Person in any discussion, general agreement, consensus opinion, or deciding vote regarding the topic in which a real, apparent or potential conflict exists.
Procedure for Addressing the Potential Conflict: Recusal
QVNA requests that Interested Persons acknowledge this Policy by signing it; and thereafter will request it be acknowledged by signature annually each January. Signed documents shall be kept on file at QVNA’s office.
QVNA Position of Interested Person Date